Your backyard or deck is a great place to hang out, but sometimes your neighbors can be just a little too close for comfort. As our video shows, you can turn a boring deck or patio into a private hideaway with just a few easy additions.
- A Little Privacy, Please. No matter how much you like your neighbors, sometimes you just want to sunbathe or read your book in peace. There are several ways to create some backyard privacy without building a wall or installing a permanent (and expensive) fence. For a natural screen, you can plant arborvitae shrubs which create a thick hedge and grow to a height of up to 20 feet, depending on the variety. Of course, you may have to wait several years for them to get high enough to provide the privacy you’re looking for. A quicker and easier way is to add a portable privacy screen. Available in a variety of styles including wood, resin, and faux ivy, a privacy screen sets up easily and requires little maintenance.
- It’s Curtains for You! Another fast & affordable privacy idea: outdoor curtains! With so many styles and colors available, outdoor curtains are a great way to add breezy style as well as instant privacy. Suspend them on curtain rods between the posts of your porch or the walls of your balcony. Or use our freestanding Outdoor Curtain Rod Set to create a secluded area just about anywhere – no wall or posts needed. Our Outdoor Curtains have grommets for easy sliding back and forth, and they’re weather-resistant so rain showers won’t bother them a bit. They’re great for blocking sun glare as well.
- A Secret Garden. Make your secluded hideaway comfortable and inviting with outdoor furniture and cushions. First, decide what kind of space you want to create…a private outdoor dining room; a conversation area for relaxing with friends and family; or a place for lounging. Of course, if your space is big enough, you can enjoy all 3! Look for outdoor furniture that suits your style as well as your space. We offer wood, metal, and resin wicker furniture in styles from traditional to contemporary. Then add outdoor cushions for comfort and color…Our selection includes everything from solids to florals, nautical to tropical.
- Get Floored. Use all-weather area rugs to complete your outdoor room. Adding softness underfoot plus loads of style, outdoor rugs are ideal for porches, patios, decks, 3-season rooms, or even small balconies. Choose a design to complement your color scheme, and don’t worry if someone spills a drink or drops their hot dog. Our sturdy rugs rinse clean easily with a spray from your garden hose. And they’re pretty enough to use indoors, too!
- Evening Ambience. You’ll want to enjoy your secret garden at night, too, so look for creative ways to light up your space. If there’s an outlet nearby, you can add decorative light strings to trees or your privacy fence. For wireless convenience, use solar lights that can be staked in the ground or hung from hooks or branches. To enjoy the mesmerizing glow of real flames, opt for fire columns or tables, tiki torches, or large lanterns with candles.
In no time at all, you can create the perfect escape (and add some much-needed privacy) in your own backyard.