We begin shooting our holiday items in August so that we have enough time to perfect each spread in the catalog before it reaches your doorstep. At this time the weather in Northeast Ohio is, well, anything but wintery with temps that are usually approaching 90 degrees. This is why you see the Improvements creative team in shorts and flip-flops. The three hour shoot, which was planned around the “golden hour” – a cinematographer’s term for when the sun is at the horizon and produces indirect light – was a success and the crew got some great shots of the scene. Plenty of people passing by stopped to observe the group decorating their neighbor’s house for Christmas 5 months early-a scene in itself! So, how did we create a winter scene on a hot summer day? Allow us to break it down for you:
*Holiday Decorating Ingredients:
- 3 Strands of Garland
- 9 Wreaths
- 2 Pieces of Swag
- 2 Urns
- 2 Urn Fillers
- 1 lb. Artificial Snow
- Ladder, Assorted Hanging Supplies & Tools
Total Time: 3 hrs.
Yields: 1 Serving of Stunning Holiday Home
Holiday Decorating Directions:
- Hang wreath so that it’s perfectly centered on your front door.
- Delicately drape garland along the outer edge of the door frame.
- Add some swag on either side of your wreath.
- Place two urns on your front step to frame your front door display and drop in urn fillers.
- Add extra lighted appeal to the other areas of your house by hanging a wreath in each window.
- Stand back and admire the scene you have created.
*For best results, we recommend using our Pre-Lit Classic Lighted Christmas Greenery Collection; a beautiful mix of pinecones, realistic-looking red berries, a generous number of tips, and brightly shining LEDs.