When you were a kid, did you go to the drive-in theater? After all, what was more fun than piling into a car with your family or friends to see the latest movie on an outdoor screen? Sadly, many drive-ins have closed. But the good news is you can tap into the nostalgia with your very own backyard drive-in outdoor movie theater. All you have to do is set it up and invite your family and friends over for an entertaining evening. Keep reading to learn how you can have the ultimate backyard outdoor movie night. It’s home entertainment that’s fun for the whole family!
Now Serving: Outdoor Movie Night Recipes
Going to the movies and noshing on food go hand-in-hand, right? Of course, they do, so we’re giving you recipe ideas for your outdoor movie night. These delicious eats will delight everyone at your movie party.
- 8 cups of plain popped corn
- 1/2 cup dark or semisweet chocolate
- 1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 cups of mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups of Golden Grahams cereal
- Spread the popcorn in an even layer on a baking sheet that’s been lined with waxed paper.
- Place 1/2 cup chocolate into a microwave-proof bowl with 1/2 tablespoons of the butter. Heat in 30-second intervals in the microwave until fully melted. Using a fork or spoon, drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until melted completely. Drizzle the melted marshmallows over the popcorn.
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and Golden Grahams. Let sit for 20 minutes then transfer popcorn mix to a bowl to serve.
Grilled Shrimp Tacos
Grilled Shrimp Tacos Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 lbs. large or extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8-10 six-inch corn or flour tortillas
- 1-1/2 cups fresh salsa (either homemade or from the refrigerated section at the grocery store)
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 limes, cut into wedges for garnish
Grilled Shrimp Tacos Cookware
- Mixing bowl
Grilled Shrimp Tacos Directions
- Heat grill to medium. Meanwhile, mix the olive oil, chili powder, salt, 2 tablespoons lime juice and shrimp in a large bowl. Stir until shrimp are evenly coated. Grease grill with vegetable oil. Place the shrimp on the grill and cook until just opaque, about 1-1/2 – 2 minutes per side. Cover shrimp to keep warm.
- Grill the tortillas until slightly charred, about 20 seconds per side.
- Spoon a few shrimp into the warm tortillas. Top with salsa, chopped avocado and a spoonful of sour cream. Serve tacos with lime wedges on the side.
Note: In the event of allergies or dietary needs, you may substitute veggies, chicken, or beef for shrimp.
Southern Lemonade Cocktail
Southern Lemonade Cocktail Ingredients
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2/3 cups Bourbon (more or less depending on your taste)
- 6 cups ginger ale
- Lemon slices for garnish
Southern Lemonade Cocktail Cookware
- Mesh strainer
- Large pitcher
- Mason jars for serving
Southern Lemonade Cocktail Directions
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water and heat over medium heat. Stir often until sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Simmer 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add lemon juice, mint leaves, and bourbon, then let the mixture cool.
- Once cooled, pour mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a large pitcher. This will discard larger particles and the mint leaves. Add ginger ale to the pitcher and stir to combine.
- For an additional serving option, add a bit of water or lemon juice to a shallow plate. Add course white sugar to another shallow plate. Dip the open end of the mason jars onto the liquid plate, then onto the sugar plate to create a sugar rim. Serve drink over ice and garnish with a lemon slice and sprig of mint.
Movie Night Invitation Printables
Make your outdoor movie night more special by sending invitations to your friends and neighbors. Besides, who doesn’t like to get an invitation in the mail to a party? Download these movie invitation printables and keep them somewhere safe so you don’t lose them. Of course, you can always bookmark this blog post and refer back to it anytime!
Make Outdoor Movie Nights a Part of Your Home Entertainment
How cool is it that you can watch movies with a backyard drive-in outdoor movie theater? In fact, it’s the perfect way to spend time with your family and enjoy a fun evening at home. Of course, you can set up the outdoor movie theater for special occasions, from birthday parties to family reunions, potlucks, BBQs, graduations, camping, and more. It’s backyard entertaining like you’ve never experienced before!