If you are on the fence on whether or not you should crate train your dog, here are some beneficial reasons why crate training can be good for you and your pet.
Before you even begin the process of crate training, you need to understand that what you are doing is going to help give your dog a sense of security and, in essence, create a safe place for your dog to live. The crate should NEVER be used as punishment – it is a place for him to feel safe.
- Creates a den for your dog – a safe place for him to go if he gets scared or needs a rest
- As a puppy, a dog crate keeps him out of other areas of the home & off of your guests while he’s being trained
- Aids in potty training – dogs don’t want to be by their own waste so they’ll let you know when they have to go
- A safe place for your dog to chew on his toys or bones without being disturbed by others – this is helpful if he’s a “guarder”
- If you’re a traveler, a pet crate will keep your dog more relaxed while on the road since he’s in his own “den”
Now that you know why you should do it, check out our article on how to crate train your dog.