Looking for a new way to cook Brussels Sprouts? This savory-sweet Brussels Sprouts recipe combines bacon, apples and almonds to shredded Brussels Sprouts to transform the vegetable into a deliciously new side dish.
- 1/4 pound of bacon
- 2 Tbls bacon grease or butter
- 2 Tbls Apple juice or Apple sauce
- 1 pound shredded Brussels Sprouts
- 1/2 cup of dried apples
- 1/2 cup of slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup of Sweet-and-Sour Salad Dressing (Poppyseed also works well)
Fry bacon to desired crispness, crumble and set aside. Wash Brussels sprouts and shred them (like cole slaw) and set aside. Take 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease or butter and add 2 tablespoons of Apple Juice and saute the Brussels sprouts until tender. Add your preferred amount of salt and pepper.
Add 1/2 cup of dried apples and saute for another 5 minutes (so apples take on a little of the moisture from the sprouts). Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup slivered almonds and salad dressing – toss to coat well. You can also top the sprouts with fresh scallions, diced red onions or even french fried onions for an extra kick. You will never look at Brussels sprouts the same way ever again….
- Laura, Improvements Brussels Sprouts Cooker